Wednesday, February 9, 2011

An Afternoon with Ifrah Ahmed

Ifrah Ahmed. 12th and Union, Seattle, WA.

What's your sign?
Libra

Even after the recent horoscope change?
I'm a Libra for life. I'm no virgo.

What's your current occupation?
Student at Seattle University

What are you studying at Seattle U?
Double majoring in political science and international relations with a minor in Global African Studies.

What's your dream occupation?
I want to do it all. I want to work in human rights, I want to work in fashion, and I want do something with literature. 

What's currently playing on your personal soundtrack?
Paul McCartney's Ram, Black Sabbath, and the new Bright Eyes

Can you recall a time in your life when everything in that particular moment was perfect?
Right now. Everything is in harmony; family, work, school, friendships, etc. I mean its a really good time for Libras right now.


What's your most valued possession?
My mother's scarves and jewelry. It's very African and elegant. 

What was your favorite clothing item as a kid?
I use to wear an orange Winnie the Pooh t-shirt underneath all of the cultural dresses my mother use to make me wear. I also had a red wool winter jacket with wood toggle buttons that I was in love with.

What's currently one of your favorite items in your wardrobe?
I'm really into an old silky tan jacket that use to belong to my mother in the 70's. It adds class to every outfit. 

Is there a designer's line out right now that catches your eye?
Jil Sander's menswear and Alexander McQueen's menswear 

What designer piece are you currently obsessing over?
Head to toe magenta deep v mens suit by Jil Sander. 


What's your vice?
Arriving on time. I run on Somali time.

What are some of your pet peeves?
Chewing loudly, cowards, and dishonesty. 

What do you value most in a man?
old school manners and a heart of gold

What do you value most in a woman?
understanding, trust, and laughter

Who's someone that inspires you?
My mother. She's the strongest person I know. She escaped civil war in Somalia and moved to a foreign country to raise her family. 

What is one of your greatest achievements thus far? 
Fundraising through UNICEF for people who suffered from droughts in Africa.

What are some of your life ambitions?
To write a book of poetry, teach abroad in Africa for several years, provide a good life for my mom, and last but not least to be happy. 

If you could be anywhere right now, where would you be? 
Africa in the 1960's when all the countries were gaining their independence from their colonizers. There was a feeling of romanticism in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment