Saturday, March 19, 2011

An Afternoon with Sierra Stinson

Sierra Stinson, Vignettes Curator, Melrose & Pine, Seattle, WA.


Where are you from?
Occidental, California.

What brought you to Seattle?
I went on a road trip to Seattle and loved it so I decided to go for school.

Where did you go to school?
Cornish School of the Arts and Glasgow School of Art.

What did you study?
Fine art photography, video art, and environmental art which is installation based.


What's your dream occupation?
Curator/ Collector 

What inspired your passion to be a curator?
Starting my own gallery in my apartment last december. I love being around the arts, supporting it, and enabling it. 

What's currently on your personal soundtrack?
Bessie Smith, Adem, Talking Heads, Nina Simone, and James Brown.


What's your most valuable possession?
My turquoise bracelet that use to belong to my mom. She said the day she takes it off it could be mine. She never took it off. One day when I was thirteen I saw it on the counter and it hasn't left my wrist since. 

What's something you never leave the house without?
My moleskin notebook and a bottle opener. You must always be prepared for a bottle of wine.

Who are some of your style icons?
My best friend Morgan, Phylicia Rashad, and Sophie Calle


Who's someone you admire?
My Mom's cousin, Melanie. She's the most positive person I know. She is one of those people you can't help but smile when you see them. 

What has been your most enlightening journey thus far?
When I was 21, myself and my boyfriend at the time, backpacked across Europe from London to Turkey. It was a four month long journey. We barely had any money and we just couch surfed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment